Reference in Manifesto
In the New Direction, the SLPP government will:
- Review the National Decentralisation Policy and amend the Local Government Act 2004
- Complete the devolution of functions within the first one year
- Reorganize the Local Government Service Commission and provide it with the relevant policy and regulatory tools, financial and organizational support to position it like its counterpart, the Public Service Commission
- Review the local government grant making mechanism with a view to ensuring that the initial principles underpinning it (equity, need, lack of capacity to raise adequate own/local resources and even development across the country) forms the basis of computation, allocation and distribution of all grants irrespective of location and partisan composition
- Allocate a standing Block Grant to support a scheme that will focus on performance
- Bring chiefdom governance in line with local governance and make chiefdom structures play a major role in the decentralised service delivery process
- Restore the dignity of Paramount Chiefs and bring them back to the centre stage of national governance with rights and obligations fully recognized and respected
- Define new conditions of service for Paramount Chiefs and most essential chiefdom staff with a view to building capacity for future challenges
- Provide mobility for Paramount Chiefs to facilitate outreach and the performance of their roles.
- Harmonize the relationship between Local Councils and Council of Paramount Chiefs to ensure mutual respect and trust for effective service delivery
- Restore the dignity and prestige of Paramount Chiefs by improving their conditions of service and making them an integral part of the local governance development process.
- Construct official residence for all Paramount Chiefs
- Review the Revenue Schedule to achieve clarity in the areas of responsibilities and roles of the different agents within the decentralization process
- Reintroduce the Development Grant Allocation to Councils and increase the percentage of National Budget Allocation to Councils commensurate with their devolved responsibilities
- Ensure that staff of MDAs managing the devolved sectors are supervised and controlled by the Local Councils.
- Ensure that the salaries and other conditions of service of Local Council staff are aligned with the conditions of service of the Civil Service Commission
- Ensure that Local Council staff have the opportunity of serving at the central level and vice versa Take steps to entrench local governance in any revised National Constitution